How Not To Die: Discover the Foods Scientifically Proven to Prevent and Reverse Disease
by Michael Greger, MD with Gene Stone
2017 Edition - ISBN: 1250116937
― Michael Greger, How Not To Die
― Michael Greger, How Not to Die
- Vegans are 78% less likely to get type 2 diabetes than omnivores.
- 4.9 million people could be saved annually just by eating more fruit.
- A single slice of pizza hut pepperoni pizza can contain half your daily recommended intake of sodium (salt).
- Eating a standard American diet and running the equivalent of 2 marathons every week for 20 years has been shown not to bring down blood pressure as low as being a couch-potato vegan.
- Three hours after eating 50 grams of broccoli sprouts the enzyme that cancers use to help silence our defences is suppressed in your bloodstream to an extent equal to or greater than the chemotherapy agent specifically for that purpose - without the toxic side effects.
- Processed meat like bacon, ham, and sausages are blamed for eight hundred thousand deaths per year, which is four times more than all illicit drug use worldwide.
- One hot dog has as many nitrosamines and nitrosamides (tobacco carcinogens) as four cigarettes. They are also found in varying quantities in fresh meat, including beef, chicken and pork.
- Each pork chop consumed per capita may be associated with about two beers worth of increased liver mortality risk.
- Eating just about half a mushroom per day and sipping at least half a tea bags worth of green tea each day was associated with nearly 90% lower breast cancer odds.
- Higher consumption of vegetables may cut the odds of developing depression by as much as 62 percent.
- People who drink more than 6 cups of coffee a day were 80% less likely to commit suicide, thought drinking 8 or more cups daily has been associated with increased suicide risk.
- Women who drink cows milk appear to have five times the rate of twin births compared to women who do not drink milk (possibly explained by hormones in the milk).
- The risk of Parkinson's may increase 17% with every daily cup of cows milk consumed.
- Those survivors of the nuclear attacks on Hiroshima and Nagasaki who ate vegetable or fruit rich diets appeared to cut their cancer risk by about 36%.
- Meat costs about 3 times more than vegetables yet yields 16 times less nutrition based on an aggregate of nutrients. Because meat is less nutritious and costs more, vegetables net you 48 times more nutrition per pound than meat.
- Spending just 30 pence more per day on fruits and vegetables may buy you a 10% drop in mortality.
Part Two Notes:
- A study of nearly half a million people found that a daily portion of meat about the size of a deck of cards was associated with up to 5 times the odds of stomach cancer.
- Legumes (beans) have been found to be the most important predictor of survival in older people around the globe.
- Shop for the reddest strawberries, the blackest blackberries, the most scarlet tomato, the darkest green broccoli you can find; the colours are the anti-aging, anti-cancer antioxidants.
- Dark green leafy vegetables (spinach, kale, rocket, mesclun, swiss chard etc.) are the healthiest foods on earth, but combining them with a whole food source of fat, like avocado or nuts, can boost the nutrient absorption by 3 times. As little as a single walnut or a spoonful of avocado is enough.
- A greater intake of green and yellow vegetables was associated with decreased facial wrinkling.
- People who ate nine servings of fruits and vegetables a day (exactly what Dr Greger prescribes in this book) were shown to be "significantly healthier and more attractive looking" than what was achieved by eating just three daily servings. This was based on skin tone and facial wrinkles.
- Because each vegetable contains a unique combination of nutrients, a great variety should be eaten to get maximum health benefits from the plant kingdom.
- About one in 10,000 boys and girls eating French fries may develop cancer that would otherwise not have occurred had they not eaten French fries.
- Microwaving vegetables appears to preserve, on average, 95% of antioxidant capacity. Which was the equal greatest capacity of all six cooking methods tested along with "griddling" (cooking in a thick fry pan with no oil). The other methods tested were baking, boiling, frying and pressure cooking. Both carrots and celery stalks appeared to gain antioxidant capacity no matter which method was used.
- Pesticide residues have been detected in 11 percent of organic crop samples. The safest most effective way to clean veggies is to use a solution of one part salt to nine parts water, just wash the salty water off afterwards.
- Just one handful (about 30 grams) of nuts five or more days a week may extend your life by an extra two years.
- Not eating enough nuts and seeds is the third leading dietary risk factor for death and disability in the world, killing more people than processed meat consumption and 15 times more than all those who die from all illicit drugs combined.
- Ten strokes an hour, every hour, could be prevented simply by adding about four walnuts, almonds and hazelnuts to America's diet.
- The reason even young men should care about their cholesterol levels is because they predict erectile dysfunction later in life, which in turn predicts heart attacks, strokes and shortened life span.
- Eating just two handfuls of nuts weekly may extend a woman's life as much as jogging four hours a week.
- Herbs and spices have, ounce for ounce, more antioxidants than any other food group.
- Eating more whole grains could save the lives of more than a million people around the world each year.
- 2 liters of water intake daily may reduce the risk of bladder cancer by 50%, potentially saving thousands of lives.
- Those who drink five or more glasses of water a day had about half the risk of dying from heart disease compared to those who drank two glasses or less (even after adjusting for additional water in diet, ie. fruit) and may also elevate mood, improve thinking, and even help cut your risk for bladder cancer and other diseases.
- If the US population collectively exercised enough to shave just 1 percent of national body mass index (BMI) 2 million cases of diabetes, 1.5 million cases of heart disease and up to 127,000 cases of cancer might be prevented.
- Even purified ("distilled") Fish oil supplements have been found to be contaminated with a considerable amount of PCB's and other pollutants, so much so that taken as directed, salmon, herring and tuna oils would exceed the tolerable daily intake of toxicity.
- Dr. Benjamin Spock, perhaps the most esteemed pediatrician of all time, advocated in his last book that children be raised on a plant based diet with no exposure to meat and dairy products.
If you think this book sounds like something you'd enjoy, I would definitely recommend getting your print copy from Book Depository. They always have the cheapest prices online (they're owned by Amazon after all) and their free international shipping is the fastest you'll get anywhere. Click here to buy How Not To Die on Book Depository now.
If you live in the US or want a copy for your kindle no matter where you are, get your copy from Amazon.
If you liked this review and are going to get the book anyway, we'd appreciate it if you used one of the links above to purchase your copy. It won't cost you anything extra and you'll be helping support Vomad and keeping us doing the things we do to bring you reviews like this, and Book Depository really is the best online bookseller.
PS. You can get Dr. Gregers Daily Dozen mobile app for an easy way to checklist what foods you've eaten in a day, with the goal of moving towards his recommendation of the healthiest diet. It's free, beautifully simple and available on both iPhone and Android.